I’ve only been living here for about 2 years now, and I am so sick of this city. Yes I am blessed to be attending UC Berkeley, the #1 public university in the world but…
I’m heading into my Junior year and I am dreading it. Here is why:
1. The homeless population- let’s be honest, when you’re a tourist you love the homeless. ”Oh fun I’m gonna give this authentic Berkeley hobo a quarter I’m so cool”. Uh no. These are people who have faced struggles that we cannot even imagine, and what does the City of Berkeley do about it? Nothing. The city just lets these homeless fight over sidewalk space, beg pedestrians everyday, and overall make the standard of safety horrible. I cannot even walk down Telegraph (where I live) without being harassed sexually or for money. So no, Berkeley homeless, or homeless in general, are not for your enjoyment. They are not circus animals, they are people and deserve a place to sleep at night.
2. All the goddamn walking- have you been on the Berkeley campus? Holy crap. Everywhere you need to walk is an uphill battle. My poor lungs can’t take it anymore. Exercise sucks!
3. A lack of fast food, anywhere- If I want my McDonald’s craving or any fast food craving to be satisfied I have to DRIVE somewhere in Oakland to get it. Like wtf Berkeley. I understand small businesses are important, but first off the government is running them into the ground anyways because the homeless lurk in front of buildings which affects their business regardless. And NO I do NOT want to buy a $10 lunch when I could easily buy a $4 lunch at a fast food restaurant. Mostly everyone in Berkeley is a starving, broke college student, we don’t got $$$ to be spending on these fancy ass Berkeley restaurants. Sorry not sorry.
4. The STRESS- like holy crap, everyone on the Berkeley campus is stressed to the max. The fact that Cal students keep committing suicide is a huge problem that someone needs to address. Ignoring it solves nothing.
5. The protesters- yes, Berkeley IS a liberal campus, no way you could possibly deny that. BUT, Why the FUCK do outside organizations think it’s okay to randomly protest on our campus that we pay tuition at? Like wtf, just the other day I had to shove my way past a group of religious anti-abortion protesters GO ELSEWHERE. If you are not a Cal student you need to protest as far away from me as possible.
6. The weather- I have grown up in the Bay my entire life but never experienced such bipolar weather as I have at Berkeley. I leave my house bundled up head to toe because it’s 50 degrees at like 10AM and once I get out of my lecture at around 11 it’s high 60’s and I’m sweating? NO.
7. The lack of diversity- Just because Cal is in Berkeley does NOT make it diverse. Here are the statistics for Berkeley’s newly admitted Freshmen class:
African American- 3.4%
Other Hispanic/Latino- 3.1%
Native American- 0.7%
Pacific Islander- 0.2%
Other Asian- 1.1%
South Asian- 8.1%
How can you NOT see a problem with these statistics? Oh yeah we’re so advanced and liberal and blah blah yet there were only 3.4% of African-American freshmen admitted this year. We still have a long way to go in this fight for equality.
Maybe one day I’ll post all the things I actually like about Berkeley, lol.
I haven’t done a post in an absurd amount of time, this was long overdue. I downloaded a ton of torrents today, which is odd because I deleted my iTunes library for a reason. But I just can’t help avoiding music anymore. It’s so empowering to be able to listen to a song that once held so much meaning to me, and feel nothing. Yet, now I’m listening to songs and their meaning is completely different to me now.
What is it about music that causes people’s emotions to be so heightened? Why do I avoid music when I’m emotionally unstable? I know there is the other extreme of people who need music to get through tough times, but I have never been that person. BUT look at me now! Illegally re-downloading my entire iTunes library from over 2 years ago, sitting here humming and singing along to my previous anthems.
And I like it.
Its really sad that girls cant walk down the street at night without a fear of being raped, kidnapped, or a combo of the two resulting in death.
it was so scary
woah my boyfriend is famous guys